Hi Darra -
Please see attached movie showing how to adjust the download settings for Safari & Firefox. The preferences are found under the ‘Safari’ and ‘Firefox’ menus.
Hope that works!
On Aug 24, 2009, at 8:39 PM, Darra wrote:
> Hi Hunter, > > I hope you had a wonderful time in Austria! > > It seems like there is always some new little weirdness on my > machine. For some reason pdfs from the Internet are no longer > automatically downloading to my desktop. I can access them if I do a > search for downloads but it is an annoying step. Is there some easy > fix? > > Thanks, > Darra >
Since Windows 2003 Server is functioning as the VPN Gateway, you have to reset the password using the ‘Active Directory Users and Computers’ application on the server.
Remote Desktop into the server Access the ‘Active Directory Users and Computers’ programs in Start- >Programs->Administrative Tools Locate the user’s account from the list of accounts. Right-click the account name, then select ‘Reset Password’ This resets her password for both VPN and file sharing usage.
I logged in to check to make sure everything else was okay & initiated the installation of some Windows updates while I was at it.
I can reset it for you, too – let me know if something doesn’t work out.
On Aug 12, 2009, at 5:48 PM
> Hi, Hunter > > I just have a quick question for you… How do I find or reset Susan’s > VPN password for the server? She typed over the autofill by > mistake, and can’t get back in. > > > Thanks! >
Hi Martha -
Hope you’ve been well.
It’s hard to say exactly what is wrong. MSN’s web-based email is a horrendous mess & one of the worst web-interfaces I have ever seen. That is typically Microsoft.
I presume you’re using Internet Explorer – which you would assume would be most compatible with their own email, but often times that is not the case.
A few options:
1) Switch from Internet Explorer to Mozilla Firefox (mozilla.com). Firefox is an alternative web browser, 100% free, very secure, reliable & fast. It tends to be a very compatible browser & has become very popular these days.
2) Can the MSN email & save yourself $240/year. You could use the Yahoo email exclusively or use another address. I would actually recommend NOT using Time Warner’s email – if you ever switch providers or TW falls off the map, you’ll lose the address. Yahoo or GMail (gmail.com) are more effective alternatives.
3) Update Internet Explorer to the latest version. Often times issues that are browser related can be fixed by updating them to the newest versions. I’m not sure what version you have, but version 8 is now available for Windows XP. Version 6 was fairly buggy. 7 was OK.
4) Attempt to fix the problem as-is. You’re right – it could be a security issue – but it could be a conflicting plugin, a missing or corrupt system file, a Windows glitch. You can rule out the security option very easily: Close Internet Explorer Open Control Panel Open Internet Options On the Security tab, press the button at the bottom that says ‘Reset all zones to default’ Hit OK Try accessing attachment again. The problem may also be the result of a corrupt IE Cache. I would recommend using CCleaner (ccleaner.com), a small, free utility to clean out unnecessary files. You can also delete the cache in the ‘General’ tab of the Internet Options Control Panel.
If you’ like to take a stab at any of these things first, please feel free. If not – or if they don’t work – we’d be happy to take a look at it for you.
Windows 7 is coming out this fall. We’re anticipating that like all of Microsoft’s previous workstation-class operating systems (Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, XP, Vista), it will be a riddled with security flaws & won’t actually offer half of the features they claimed it would.
On Aug 11, 2009, at 7:40 AM, martha wrote:
> Hi Hunter, > A business question….. > > My old Dell computer is giving me a problem. I would like to buy a > new one but I heard a new version is coming out in October and so I > should wait. > > Internet e mail….I can access it but I am unable to “open” any > attachments. So, I get the NYT on line and so many other > things…of my choice AND e mails that I can read, but once I click > on the attachment, I get a window up that is blank and says > only MSN. To get out of it, I have to right click on the bar below > and close the window…then, the whole operation reverts to my desk > top and I have to start all over again just to read the opening page > of each e mail. > > OK…I’ve taken it to Staples for a clean out…..and told them > about the problem but they were unable to fix it. > I know it’s only my own Dell computer, because when I open my msn e > mailany other place, (eg, my office computer) I have no problem. I > can also open Yahoo account….no problem. > > I pay msn. only $20. a year or so…..yet use it as my home page. > > My server is Time Warner but I don’t use the roadrunner e mail they > provide. I suppose that would be the easy way out of this > > I’ve gone in to the control panel…since it looks like a security > problem….but I cannot figure out what to do to alleviate the > situation. > > I could drop off the tower to your place if you think you could fix > it. > > Thanks for your time…and, I am asking this as a business problem > and will pay you your fee. > > Martha > > or e mail….I CAN read it…I just can’t open anything much ….
Thanks to all. Just off a conference call and they all love the website. THANKS for your efforts.
Hi Sarah -
Sure thing. There are two ways you can accomplish this:
1) Right-Click on the ‘Deleted Items’ folder from your folder list & select ‘Empty Deleted Items Folder’ 2) Select the ‘Deleted Items’ folder and choose ‘Empty Deleted Items Folder’ from the ‘Edit’ menu.
You will be prompted to confirm the deletion in either case.
Hope you’ve been enjoying your summer, too.
On Aug 4, 2009, at 10:24 PM, Sarah wrote:
> Hunter, Hope you are having a good summer. Or is it Spring!? > If it isn’t too much trouble, could you give me the > directions again as to how to delete deleted mail? I appreciate > it. Best always, Sarah
Hi Adrian -
I do when I have them, but Macs are usually very hard to come by (they last too long & often are broken beyond repair by the time they find their way to me).
Apple has some great deals on refurbished Macs on their web store (apple.com/store – see the link for Refurbished Macs in the left hand side column). Their basic Macbook runs $750 + tax, which is a fabulous deal. The nice thing about buying from Apple is that these machines carry the full Apple warranty.
There are some other deals out there for refurbished Macs – Expercom has several models they sell refurbished – but almost everywhere else the Macs are older (like 1-2 years old already) & carry very limited warranties.
Hope that helps – and hope to see you Sunday.
On Aug 2, 2009, at 4:14 PM, Adrian wrote:
> you mowed it? you’re amazing! > good job with the win too. > it sounds like a new one is in order. do you sell refurbished ones? > baby names are for poseurs. that’s not true, we just need a bit > more time; naming our baby isn’t the most important thing to take > care of right now. > -h > > On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Hunter Greene > wrote: > The field was okay, but I mowed and lined it anyway (turns out the > over-40 championship game is tomorrow – so that works well for them). > I only mowed the field though – I didn’t have much time before the > game & the field was pretty wet @ 3:00. > > We won, too – 3-2. > > Congratulations, by the way, on the new addition to your family. > Name? > > Your laptop doesn’t look good though – all attempts to get it to > behave normally have failed miserably. Might you consider a new one? > > hunter > > On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 7:50 AM, Adrian wrote: > > the field might be in pretty bad shape. it hasn’t been mowed in a > week and a > > half and it’s been raining a lot (the lines might be gone too). > > -h > > > > On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 1:20 PM, Hunter Greene > > > wrote: > >> > >> Just a quick reminder that we do have a game tomorrow at 1:00
> >> We’re playing team ranked #3. > >> Hope to see you out there – > >> hunter greene > >> Brainspiral Technologies, Inc. > >> email@example.com > >> http://brainspiral.com > >> w: 413-458-5755 > >> c: 413-281-4918 > >> > > > > >